When it comes to choosing a new hairstyle, the shape of your face is a big factor to consider. A hairstyle that goes well with your face shape can dramatically change your appearance! This is a interesting subject to me and I have a lot of people sit in my chair and ask what hair style looks best with their face shape!
Well you at home can find out the shape of your face by 2 ways. Measure it with a tape measurer or a ruler. You will take the following measurements.
- Measure your face across the top of your cheekbones. Write down the measurement on a piece of paper.
- Measure across your jaw line from the widest point to the widest point. Write down the measurement.
- Measure across your forehead at the widest point. Generally the widest point will be somewhere about halfway between your eyebrows and your hairline. Write down the measurement.
- Measure from the tip of your hairline to the bottom of your chin.
There are 5 basic face shapes...
- Oval Face - Length equal to one and a half times width.
- Round Face - Your face is as wide as it is long. This may vary a little but generally the measurement is close.
- Oblong - Longer than it is wide.
- Heart - Narrow at jaw line, wide at cheekbones/and or forehead.
- Square - your face is about as wide as it is long.
And if this confuses you or you want a quicker way, use a old tube of lipstick or a dry erase marker, pull your hair up and trace your face in your bathroom mirror! Then step back and see the shape!
Round: Think Kate Winslet
Goal: Minimize volume around the face and keep volume at crown of head. Soft gradual layers and wispy ends will slim the face shape.
Avoid: Short curly hair, short, cropped styles, styles with volume on sides.
Square: Think Angelina Jolie
Goal: Short to medium lengths, or long with graduated layers starting at the jaw.
Avoid: Blunt bangs and chin length bobs.
Heart: Think Reese Witherspoon
Goal: Draw attention to your eyes and away from the chin. Side swept bangs or a bob are great way to balance the heart shape.
Avoid: Choppy layers, super short hair, volume at the crown.
Oval: Think Julia Roberts
Goal: Well you can really get away with most any hair cut!
Avoid: Short layers that add height at the crown or top of your head and avoid blunt cuts if your hair is thick or curly.
Oblong: Think Giselle Bundchen
Goal: Short to medium lengths with layers around the face. Also chin length bobs, brow skimming bangs along with curls and waves.
Avoid: long hair or super short styles
There are tons of articles online about this so after you determine your face shape, go check them out to see if I may have not covered something that might help you! I just hope I haven't confused you!! Hopefully you can try to figure out a great style for your shape of face now! :)